Thursday, November 8, 2012
Sunday, October 7, 2012
We want to thank everyone that came by, text, facebooked, tweeted or called today. She had the most enjoyable and exciting birthday. To top it off, we got the news that a friend got saved at our old church today! It was so much fun and Rachael kept a smile until she fell fast asleep about 20 minutes ago!
Thank you to all who made this day very special!
nine four one-five four five-zero seven one three
So Nancy decided a few weeks ago that it would be a great idea to throw a party. Rachael thought so too. She has been looking forward to this all week with great excitement. The party starts at 2.
If you are not coming , pray for Rachael to have a great day. We thank God for the opportunity for fellowship with her friends and family.
Viva la Rachael! (the party is Mexican food)
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Both Rachael and Nancy are sleeping comfortably. It has been a wild week! More later, God did some work on all our hearts on this one! Praise be to Jesus Christ!
We are weighing whether to go to the ER as there is activity in her GI but it is not fully functional.
Rachael's feet are doing great and she is not having anymore pain or cramping in her legs. The meds took their toll on her GI tract though and that is what the problem is now. Once we hear from the Dr. we will decide if Rachael goes to the ER or not. If she displays any further toxicity issues, we will go to the ER.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Making this quick as I need to get to work but we had an all-nighter with Rachael as she was having some problems. We changed the meds and she is back to near normal. She is Smilin', eatin' and drinkin! It has been a ride on the train called trial for the past few days. She has suffered greatly with post surgery pain. Now though, we are out of the woods on this and as I type I hear her laughing with her friends Loretta and John. It sure was a blessing to be greeted by that great smile this afternoon. Oh yes, we woke up first thing in the…afternoon.
Burt and Nancy
Friday, September 7, 2012
It was a long night. Too reminiscent of the many nights we spent with Rachael at several different hospitals or health care facilities. The flip side is that we have done this before. Nancy did great! She was at peace and really that all started for both of us when the prayer chains started. This will be hard for some to process (J ) but we felt the prayer. The results were fantastic and it looks like there will be no need for further procedures. #PraiseGod.
For those that do not know, Rachael had Contracture Release surgery. Her feet were turned inward to a right angle at the ankle. Try to do that with your feet. She has been this way since about 3 months post accident.
The cuts were many to both feet. Her right Achilles tendon was cut but her left remains intact. Many other smaller cuts were made at strategic points to release the tendons. The doctor also moved tendons, removing it from one location and reattaching it to another. This is nothing short of surgical art. We prayed with our doctor for God to work through his hands and for God's will, whatever the result, be done.
Thank you all for your prayers, they worked big. Rachael's heart beat was up to 178 post op. That is a scary place to be. Your prayers helped to keep thoughts to the present and kept us from nearly losing it. Once again, Dr. Simon played a key role in providing comfort to us and Rachael. SMH is a great place to be sick or fixed in. What wonderful care all the way through at SMH! We also had the chance to share Christ during the recovery portion. What can you say when someone says "you guys must have a direct line" except 'so can you!' Then go from there.
Thank you again our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Thursday, September 6, 2012
She is spending the night here. Nancy and I will be with her. We all want to thank you for your prayers today. We know they made a difference.
Rachael has a cast on each foot. She will be wearing them for about a month As i am writing, her heart rate went down to 116
Her doctor, Dr. Oneill from Kennedy White, was very approachable, clear in communication and readily available. He is quite meticulous and stated several times that he was not in a rush to do his work. The guy was great. He stated that this was the worse case of contracture that he has seen. He is very pleased with the outcome. So are we.
We have been pretty quite these past few months with updates. Thank you for responding so quickly and for keeping us all in your prayers. It has been tough as of late with the surgery and life. It has been 1yr7months since the accident. Realities set in yet hope does not wain. We are facing some giants, have picked our stone and slung our shot. Today and over the past few days, God was glorified.
Thank you all very much!
Burt and Nancy
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Rachael has waited a long time to make this decision. We have too. Rachael is insanely gung-ho and ready to get this surgery done. She is not afraid, she is excited! We look forward to great results and once again to see our Lord work through the hands of skilled doctors.
Thank you for your prayers! We arrive at the Hospital at 7:00 AM
This will may have a logistical impact on how we perform care for Rachael. We will need to modify the way we do things, ways that have become second nature. Whenever there is a new adjustment like this, it is troubling and can lead to frustration. Pray for peace that goes beyond all understanding for Nancy and I.
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Pray for the gang today as the appointment at the Shepherd Institute is at 2:00 PM. Today is the day she gets to meet the doctors and get her evaluation.
Last night they all went out to eat with some friends of Rachael's aunt Mary. they had a lot of fun and one of the dinner mates was a neuro science doctor and his wife that are friends of Mary's. Everybody had a blast and though a bit troubled by the new surroundings, Rachael is keeping her spirits up and the joy flowing. Nancy was pretty burnt from the trip but is doing great.
Keep prayers up for Nancy, Rachael, Mary and the Doctors she meets today.
Sunday, August 19, 2012
This is one of the top brain injury/spinal injury centers in the nation. This is an evaluation trip to see if they can work with Rachael. We are excited to see how the evaluation comes out. If so, they will stay up there for several weeks. This is a wonderful opportunity and we ask for your prayers for travel mercies and for opportunities to share Christ while they are up there. So Daniel, Hanna and I will be solo for a few days, we need your prayers too! Nancy has done a great job of setting us up with all sorts of food. We will hide the Checkers wrappers before she gets home!
Hanna starts school in the morning at Calvary Chapel School. It sounds like it is going to be a banner year there.
Once again I have to apologize for the lack of updates. We have gotten busy here with Nancy and Rachael doing Mary Kay http://www.marykay.com/nancywizeman
and having a ball doing it. Also my day job at Stewart Signs http://www.stewartsigns.com
Rachael continues to improve in those little increments that we cherish. Her right leg is nearly a full extension now. She has had steady Hyperbaric treatments now for a few months. As I stated before, they work. If you know anyone with a brain injury, have them check it out.
So we move along. We have far fewer tough times at the house. There is a lot of paper work for Nancy to do as she gets ready to take over full care for Rachael. To save the state money, they have a program where they will train you to manage the therapies for your loved one. Instead of having the patient in a home or institution, they remain in your house and you take over the managmanet of her care instead of a 3rd Party agancy. It is a good program and makes us much the more comfortable haveing control over what is happenening with her help and therapy. All said, we will miss our friends at Shakina Glory.
Well, I need to get Hanna to school in the morning so I am hitting the sack. For s steady prayer request we pray that Rachael will regain site and the ability to talk clearly.
Rachael remains in great, Spirit filled joy.
Love Burt And Nancy
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Saturday, June 2, 2012
Praise from our Father from whom ALL blessings flow!
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
God worked through so many. We want to thank Andrew for opening up Roy's for this wonderful event! There are many places to eat in Sarasota, some are high society locales for the gathering of good causes. This place is not only a great place to gather, the heart is H U G E! The food was exceptional!
Mandy Yoder and Amy Harris did not know each other prior to this event. Separately, God had been working on their hearts for Rachael. Once they found out they shared the call, the result was the critical mass of faith, love and works! WOW! Though our way is to praise the people, we know it is God's hand moving. He chose those two to head the drive for this event. Thank you to our sisters in Christ for obeidiance and your deisre, inspite of many obstacles, to keep your eyes focused on Christ and to show your faith in the work you did
James 2:18 (NASB95)
18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
Thank you ladies and all those that worked with you. It was quite a surprise to see the Calvary Chapel School Auction Team in action and mobilized!
We also wish to thank the White family - the whole gang was there! Ray, Deb, Taylor, Becca, Thank you. We love you guys! When I looked at all of them serving in their specific capacities that evening, it was a snapshot of1 Corinthians 12-
1 Corinthians 12:18–20 (NASB95)
18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many members, but one body.
Though no total is yet in, it appears that around 19K was raised for Rachael's benefit. She is in need of several things that will be a considerable expense. We are praying on the proper direction and priority to give to her needs. This money will go into her Trust Fund and then be distributed to meet her needs according to God's Will.
Thank you all for showing up, for donating, for bidding, for praying and for your work and sacrifice.
A loud and mighty wind blew into Roy's and gathered many people. The Gospel was shared, funds were raised, all in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Rachael, Burt, Nancy, Daniel, and Hanna.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
If you are Christian, just know that we are going to a public restaurant with many an unbeliever there. Tracts will be given out, the Gospel shared and if you are there you are part of Team Rachael! Engage folks in conversation! There will be many neat people there. These people have been touched by Rachael's story and want to help. Pray for open hearts and opportunity.
There are still Tickets available at the door for the 50.00 meal. It is going to be far better than the 50.00 price as again, this is an amazing place to eat.
You do not need to buy a dinner to participate in the auction!
God Bless and we are looking forward to seeing you there. Rachael was up early today and is very excited...on a side note -
Last night, with assistance by only me, she sat up on the edge of her bed and did a great job of balancing herself. We are very excited about this! So is she. It use to take 4 Therapists to sit her up! God is healing and never stops!
Burt and Nancy and Rachael!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Rachael is very excited about this night!
Burt and Nancy
Monday, February 6, 2012
Ross has a wife, Faye, children Nicci, Rossi, Seth, Jennifer, Stepehen, Alice and Jonathan. Rossi and Seth are both serving our country in the military but are currently on family leave.
Ross LaPointe is quiet, steadfast in the Lord and a great example of spiritual leadership in his family.
We love these guys and we thank you so much for joining us in praying for them.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Those blessed folks being used by God to revive Rachael were honored today by the Sarasota County Fire Department. There is so much more to share but I wanted to get this post up for you all to see. This link will take you to the website of ABC Affiliate WWSB in Sarasota. Rachael was able to thank each one for their grand work. We were told that everything that could go right did go right that night. That everything "lined up". Many factors occurred at that time that night on the side of the Sarasota County Fire, EMT's and Sheriffs Departments to permit quick response, the equipment and people to make it happen. We will share our thoughts on this and more in another post, for now, see the story as it was broadcast.
Monday, January 2, 2012
First off – Tonight, January 2nd, Rachael said she wanted to thank all the paramedics that helped revive her. It took us some time to figure out what she was saying but that is it. So once again, for Rachael, thank you for saving her life.
It has been a year!
Friday night, I shared with Rachael all the details of the accident. It was the first time that she was putting things together. She had a few questions, wanted to know if I had been injured and if I was ok dealing with it. She spent a lot of time thinking about it over the past few days. John was by on Saturday and Rachael was noticeably deep in thought at times, when John asked her what she was thinking about, she said "the accident". She has no memory of that night or of the wonderful day she had with us on 1/1/11.
Keep in mind that it takes patience to understand what Rachael is saying. We are getting pretty good at it and the Lord has answered many prayers for us to be able to understand what she is saying. The longer the sentence, the longer it takes. Sunday she gave us her longest sentence so far. Remembering that I had told her how Nancy had performed CPR on her, Rachael thanked Nancy this morning out of the blue by saying "thank you for saving my life."
She is keeping her legs apart more as they have been pretty tightly closed most of the time. She is also able to respond better to her speech therapy as she is clearly speaking 'mom' and a fairly good 'me'. She is learning each day and continues to work hard. Most of all, she is so joyful. She frequently wakes up laughing!
Last night Nancy and I went over the blessings from this terrible event. We were with Rachael, reminding ourselves of the opportunities that have been given to share Christ with so many. We talked of those who have considered their walk because of this trial and of those that responded in faith born works in meals and donations. We told Rachael how God was continually being glorified in all of this. Then Nancy asked Rachael if it was worth it. Was it worth the pain and inability to talk and move correctly? Is it worth all that she has gone through? She said, loud and clear with a jerk of all that moves in her to punctuate it clearly and delivered with a great grin, "YES!"
Nancy, Rachael, Daniel, Hanna and I would like to thank the people listed below. Now I know that we have missed some. There was a lot of activity going on in 2011! Please do not take offense if you were missed or be saddened by it. We created this list by revisiting the events of the past year. Specific donors and gift givers are not listed as there are too many. Let it be known that every muffin, every meal, every gas card, every Publix card, every gift card of any kind, every call, every visit, any donation, large or small and most of all ANY PRAYER did absolutely help get us through this time so far.
Our gratitude goes out to:
Pastor Bob Wulfing and his wife Barb for countless hours, prayer, support and Biblical Gudiance. Thank you Bob for being here moments after the accident and all points aft and fore. Brianna Wulfing –You are a great friend to Hanna and came over when the going was weird.
We have been blessed with 2 great pastors and their wives in our time the other being Pastor Don and Lynette Haskins of Calvary Chapel Christian Fellowship in Sarasota.
To the churches of Manasota (sounds so Revelation like!)
- Calvary Chapel of Venice, Florida
- Calvary Chapel Christian Fellowship
- Calvary Chapel of Sarasota
- Refuge - Calvary Chapel of Bradenton
Thank you for your generosity and prayers!
WOLBI – Word Of Life Bible Institute
Though many people here in Venice/Sarasota were impacted by the sudden news, many close friends of Rachael at Word of Life were struck and saddened. The school is located in Hudson Florida, about 2.5 hours drive away. We had several visits from her friends that made for great worship when they visited and the prayers in NY and in Florida were so appreciated. Thank you Tom Phillips for your uplifting visit and Becca Robinson for your counsel to Rachael, your friendship and visits. WOLBI holds a special place in our hearts and is one of the best kept secrets in Florida! Thank you for the prayer vigils thank you for the love.
- Ian Lawless for his help in fronting for us at the waiting room at ICU during the first week.
- Calvary Chapel Pastors and friends that showed up at midnight last year for prayer during a critical moment for Rachael.
- Big D (Denise) for the song ‘Why Should I Worry’
- Dr Arents who looked at two weary parents astonished and confused at what was being said and repeated his words as a simple matter of fact saying “yes, she is breathing on her own.”
- The staff at Venice Regional ICU - thanks for letting us make her bed a church and for your great care!
- Dr. Anchetta – Neurologist
- Dr. Rodman’s office
- HealthSouth Hospital
- Marcus Braz, CEO Healthsouth Rehab for a personal approach and visiting Rachael on several occasions.
- · For the staff at Healthsouth Hospital Thanks for letting us make a room a church!
Calvary Chapel School
- An incredible family - Unfathomable flexibility, grace, prayer and support! We love you so much!
- The 2010-2011 3rd Grade Class - You kids hold a very special place in my heart. Each of you. We talked about trials and why they happen, we talked about Grace and why it had to happen and what it is (Romans 7 Dawg!) Your cards, your prayers your love!
- The 2010-2011 K5 Class - Thank you for your prayers, cards and love. Mrs. Wizeman cherishes each of you! Thank you Mrs. Lightner! You are on the frontline!
- There is a plaque in heaven hanging on a pretty tall mansion and on it is written "Coach"
- To all the kids at Calvary Chapel School. You kids are so important to us! Your prayers helped and continue to do so. Your genuine concern and your love is a large part of our lives. Thank you Christine Sullivan for being the communication central during those weird and loathsome early days. Thanks for ‘lovetorachael’!
- Pastor Cameron and Carol McGough - For your constant prayer, encouragement and constant prayer and constant prayer and constant prayer...
- The families! Wow the families. I am afraid to mention any for fear of missing others. So please take no offense but you guys were such a support beyond measure! Thank you Mrs. Brink and friends for a wonderful send off on the last day of school!
- Nick Sommer for prayer circles with the kids in the morning and being there for a very tough morning.
- Faith Beachemp – Thank you for the worship!
Friends New and Old
- Glenn and Claudia Albert for being there at the start and for Glenn helping to mod the house and provide the incredibly helpful lift!
- Kristen Thostenson for juicing and delivering carrot juice to keep Rachael strong while on her tube fed diet at the Hospital. Chris Thosteson for worship in the room, rides and friendship.
- Deb White for frontline jumping in helping us at the house, hanging with Rachael to give Nancy a break and a lot of other blessings!
- Mandy Yoder for passion, compassion, video, support and a great night out for Nancy and I!
- All those who brought meals! It was a huge blessing to have meals prepared.
- Milt and Harriet Seiler for teaching Rachael, being her friends and coordinating meals at Calvary Chapel Venice.
- Tom and Darryl Weaver – You gave us hope and continue to encourage us!
Nadine and George – We love your love!
- Steve and Liz Rinehardt for the benefit!
- Jan Roth – for help around the house – BIG help!
- Eddie Aguliara – For Worship and Friendship and gentle correction!
- Vicki Sauder – Thanks for your support to Nancy, the great deal on the van and your testimony with Steve.
- Dr. Emese Simon. She saw potential when we saw futility, though we continued to pray, she was used to give us hope and proved to be correct!
- Rachael's friends Caitlyn and Crystal for consistent words that bless us so! Check them out under Encouraging Words
- Diane Miller, Nancy's sister for coming by the hospital regularly after work to see Rachael after we had gone home for the night.
- Carol Miller, Nancy's sister for Friday, it's Friday! Almost all her Friday nights she has and continues to give to Rachael.
- Mary Miller Nancy's sister (she has 8 siblings!) for her participation in Rachael's care, major fund raising, research, and keeping us focused. For flying down to Florida almost monthly, traveling with Nancy to Hyperbaric treatments in Palm Harbor and for "Monkey Powder with caldesine. For stocking us up on staples, redoing the bathroom and loads of cleaning and mich more (sic).
- Samantha, Sierra, Alex Miller
- Jose – For Food, joy, love and taking great care of Joy!
- Alan Miller – You came through Big, thanks for getting the funds for the Van together!
Wow - You were our second home!
- John Hepler! (That is Helper spelled sorta side ways)
- The incredible therapy team - Bill and Susan and the rest!
- Sunilda – From the moment we met you it was obviously ordained! Thanks you for your supportive words and cards, thank you for your sisterhood to Nancy, thank you for the most excellent dog any 9 year old could have! You are truly a woman of the word!
Last but not least we all need to thank our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For all he does in us and continues to do and what He did for us.
Thank you to all of you that make up the body of Christ!
but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,
16 from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.
New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Eph 4:15–16). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.